All fired up for Fire Safety!

May 2019

During Gordon and Phil Lland’s trip to Uganda in November 2018, it was noticed that there was inadequate fire protection in the dormitories in the St Matia Mulumba and St Kizito primary schools.

Dormitories can be fire hazards. There have been no incidents in our schools but other schools in the Masaka area have recorded major fires due to the use of kerosene lamps, electrical faults and cooking.

 

EVC arranged for a fire strategy to be carried out in each school and immediately implemented the recommendations. This included:

 

     ✔   Smoke detectors
     ✔   Fire extinguishers
     ✔   Extinguishers operating procedures notices
     ✔   Emergency procedure notices
     ✔   Exit signs
     ✔   Fire assembly points
     ✔   First aid kits
     ✔   Regular inspection and maintenance

 


 

Equipment was not only installed in the dormitories but throughout the entire school campuses including the classrooms, offices and kitchens.

Installation took place in January 2019 in time for the start of the new school term in February.

The fire equipment contractor carried out fire evacuation drills with the children and organised specialist training for the teachers in tackling different types of fires.

It is now comforting to know that our schools are adequately protected with suitably trained personnel.

 

How can you help?

It costs £240 to sponsor a child ( £20 monthly standing order ) This provides a child with an education, accommodation, clothing and food and pays teaching and non teaching staff. You can also donate securely through BT Giving.